Yunohost is a fully-automated personnal server distribution.
It provides by default a preconfigured mail, instant messaging, and web server, with a web-application portal to simply access and add services through your web browser.
Why self-hosting ?
Internet was made as a decentralized network. But the last 10 years were the theater of a its great metamorphosis, where the biggest private companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft or Apple became stronger by centralizing a considerable amount of data into huge data-centers. By giving them your data, you allow them to exploit, analyse, censor or sell them. You have the choice to be out of this, because that is what Internet is made for.
The goal is to provide a server distribution easy to deploy at home without needing any specific computer-related skill.
Self-hosting is to:
- Unshackle from private platforms.
- Become the owner and the only person in charge of your datas.
- Fight against restriction of the expression and sharing freedom.
- Contribute to Internet independence and neutrality.
YunoHost only uses free components:
- Debian Squeeze
- Apache 2
- PHP 5.3
The general interface
The user interface is divided in 3 parts (from top to bottom):
- The navigation bar showing the applications installed on your server
- The central part showing the current application
- The instant messaging and email bar
The administration interface
- Add and delete applications
- Status / Services management
- LDAP users management (add, delete, edit)
- Instructions to access the following services from outside: SSH/FTP/Mail/Jabber/WebDAV/...
- Backup management
- Update notification
- Multi-domains email management
- Certificate renewal management